Although there have been advances in medical technology and donation, the demand for organ, eye and tissue donation still vastly exceeds the number of donors. For more information, read the summary below or create a detailed data report on the UNOS Web site.
- More than 123,000 men, women and children currently need lifesaving organ transplants.
- Every 10 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- An average of 21 people die each day because an organ was not made available for transplant.
- In 2013, there were 14,257 Organ Donors resulting in 28,953 organ transplants.
- In 2013, more than 47,000 corneas were transplanted.
- More than 1 million tissue transplants are done each year and the surgical need for tissue has been steadily rising.
- According to research, 98% of all adults have heard about organ donation and 86% have heard of tissue donation.
- 90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.